 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2371
Re: RCX as a PGP engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:04:49 GMT

The charm of the RCX would be that it could be a token,
like a smartcard, which holds the key securely.
When you need to sign something the PC could compute a hash,
send it over to the RCX, who asks for a PIN, signs it and
sends the signature back to the PC.

I just 'ported' (euphemism for minor modifications) some
code lingering on the web for fun and voila: MD5 on RCX
is up and running (lejos). If anyone's interested, I can
post the code.

It allows for authentication (PC sends random challenge,
rcx appends challenge to 'ID' and returns hash, PC can
compute same hash & compare and eavesdroppers have
bad luck :-))

> It would be a nice project for somebody to implement bignums on leJOS,
> the API is in java.math.BigInteger .
work in progress, but it's probably not going to be of any use
for implementing, say, RSA. (memory, no GC,...) (maybe when restricting
BigInt just to what is needed for RSA computation...)

(triple)DES and the lot should be no problem, however, since it's just
bitshifting & shaking, no BigInts involved (like MD5, basically).
Should fit easily.

Bart