 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2321
2320  |  2322
Subject:
RCX as a PGP engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:48:37 GMT

So I'm a bit behind on my reading list and I'm finally working through
Steven Levy's fascinating book "Crypto" on the history and development
of Public Key Incription and such.  Great stuff.

I was just thinking, would the RCX be able to implement a PGP or RSA
type algorithm within it's tiny memory footprint given it's processing
power?

Imagine military grade encryption in a little yellow and grey Lego
brick?  I imagine a precompiled LegOS dll with the public and private
keys built into it (Make sure you delete or eat the source code after
compiling!!:)  Then, you could squirt a plaintext message into
the RCX via the IR tower which would then squirt out the encrypted
message (all you'd need is a PC side program like Hyperterminal).
Alternately, you could send it encrypted text and it would spit out
the decrypted plaintext.

Of course you would want to cover the RCX and the IR tower up with
something like a heavy cloth or piece of clothing to keep someone from
evesdropping?

If you ever want to destroy your encoding block to keep it from falling
into enemy hands, just pull out a couple of batteries or throw it really
hard against a solid surface (let's hope it doesn't come to that!!) or
hit the reset sequence and your encryption keys and engine are purged.

Wow, who ever thought that the little RCX could be an export restricted
espionage tool?

I think I'll going to have a look at some of that PGP source code...:)

Dave

--

dcchen <at> pacbell <dot> net