 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2353
Re: RCX as a PGP engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:45:39 GMT

"Brian Bagnall" <bbagnall@mts.net> writes:

I don't think there is enough room for the WHOLE PGP package in the RCX,
perhaps just a single cipher, RSA key exchange and a single hash method.
Does anyone know off hand if any of these features require floating
point?  You could probably substitute for an algorithm that doesn't.

They don't, but they need bignums (really big integers).

If you need floating point numbers the leJOS JVM for the RCX uses floating
point:

http://lejos.sourceforge.net

It would be a nice project for somebody to implement bignums on leJOS,
the API is in java.math.BigInteger .

This seems like a very intersting idea. I actually wanted to skip the RCX
altogether and somehow link up a networking protocol using just the IR
Towers. One computer could communicate with another and you could even throw
in some encryption so no one else could intercept it.

You could just run PPP over it I suppose, with some encryption
(IPSec?) on top of it.  Would be dead slow, though.

The charm of the RCX would be that it could be a token,
like a smartcard, which holds the key securely.
When you need to sign something the PC could compute a hash,
send it over to the RCX, who asks for a PIN, signs it and
sends the signature back to the PC.

The only problem is that the RCX is not a reliable place to store data,
unless you are really careful fith exchanging batteries.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/