 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2324
2323  |  2325
Subject:
reliability of quad speed LNP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:38:24 GMT

Does anyone have any data on the reliability of quad speed LNP?  I've been
using quad speed LNP for downloading programs to my 1.0 RCX for some time, and
never had a problem.  Recently I'd bowored a friends 1.0 RCX so that my bot
could have two RCXs.  I had the two of them talking over LNP at quad speed and
things seemed to be working well.  I then decided to buy myself a second RCX,
when I swaped in my new 1.5 RCX I was able to download the legOS firmware and
my program at quad speed but found that quad speed communications between the
two RCXs was very very unreliable.

It seemed that after the first few messages LNP would stop delevering the
messages.  In this case the 1.5 RCX was sending to the 1.0 RCX.  The two RCXs
were pointed at each other with a spacing of 2 studs, and I had lego tunnel
built between the two RCXs IR ports to reduce outside interferance.  Sine this
was the exact same code and robot which was working a few hours earlier with
two 1.0 RCXs at quad speed I was baffeled.  Then I disabled quad speed LNP and
everything seems to be working.

So I'm wondering what expierences others have had with this type of stuff?  I
really like the idea of having multiple RCXs.  I guess quad speed
communications between the RCXs isn't that important, but since I had to
compile it out of the kernel my program download are now at 1X as well :(

any thoughts?

mark