 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1325
Re: Persistent globals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:39:25 GMT

legOS 0.2.3 or 0.2.4 will load .strings and .rodata sections just like the
.text section. With this you can achive persistent data by storing your
variables into the .strings section. There are some nice features in gcc
to help with this.

Just insert __persistent between the variable name and equal sign followed
by a value. You need an initializer for the data, else it will not be put
into .strings, but into .bss

The sample code implements a persistent counter counting the runs of the
program starting with 0.

-- cut here --
#include <unistd.h>
#include <conio.h>

/*
* This is the real definition of __persistent, it could move
* into some header file...
*/
#define __persistent __attribute__ ((__section__ (".strings")))

/*
* This is how you declare the persistent data:
*/
static unsigned int counter __persistent = 0;

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
lcd_number(counter++, unsign, e0);
return 0;
}
-- cut here --

Hope this helps,
Eddie C. Dost
ecd@skynet.be

Hi again!

I have found that this works with scalar variables. However, I need to
make an array persistent. More specifically, I have a 100x100 matrix
containing a population for use with genetic programming and I need to be
able to keep this in memory while the RCX is turned off. Is this possible?

Tobias