 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 110
Re: gcc build instructions for linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 04:15:57 GMT

OK, I have some more information now. When I build 0.1.6 in my new environment
it works fine. 0.1.7 and the snap exhibit the problem.

The problem is that when using tm-and-ir, the 'view' button (which is supposed
to send the message "Hello World") causes the IR port on the RCX to go
always-on (at least that's what it looks like with my Radio Shack IR
detector card) and of course does not send the message. The RCX will no
longer display received characters after this, though it does stop running
when pressing the 'run' button (though this does not turn off the IR). Pressing
the 'on-off' button works, and *does* turn off the IR.

I wanted to build 0.1.7 in my old environment (egcs 1.1.1) but I could not
since I didn't build the c++ cross compiler in that environment, and
legOS needs it to compile sensor.cpp.

So, something has definitely changed, not exactly for the better, between
0.1.6 and 0.1.7. I did a diff on the tm-and-ir.c files in those distributions
and the only changes were comments, so the bad change occurred in legOS
itself, not the demo.

Any thoughts?

Dwayne

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Dwayne Jacques Fontenot writes:
I got everything to build using egcs 1.1.2, but I am having problems with
the tm-and-ir demo (after modifying it for the new execi syntax) which
make me think maybe egcs is not generating correct code. I used the build
instructions at http://www.zanshinsys.com/linux-h8300/linuxgcc-h8300-HOWTO.txt

I did use the --enable-target-optspace flag when building egcs. I wonder if
that is part of the problem.

I will try again a little differently to see if I get better results.

Dwayne

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Lou Sortman writes:
Luis Villa wrote:

I got the same message, and your reasoning about the content of the
message sounds AOK by me. But then I did a make install, and that crudded
out on me, with the message

In file included from ../../../egcs-1.1.2/gcc/f/com.c:198:
../../../egcs-1.1.2/gcc/f/com.h:144: #error Cannot find a suitable type
for FFECOM_f2cLONGINT

I did not have this problem.  Sounds like Fortran.  Did you 'make • LANGUAGES="c
c++"' or just 'make'?  The latter makes the Fortran stuff, too.  Remember • that
if
you specify LANGUAGES when building, you should specify the same value when
installing.

I even tried building using newlib-1.8 to no avail.

Has anyone else tried this? At least in theory, the improved efficiency
would be worthwile, but I'm curious about compatibility.

I have not.