 Robotics / RCX / 2876
Re: Sign of center pin on power adaptor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:30:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Tom Lohre wrote:
I now have a Dynamic Instruments 16VAC 375mA, AT&T AC 9V 800mA, and a Black &
Decker 9V 200mA from a Dust Buster but it does not say if it is DC or AC, I
am assuming AC. Which one should I use? I am hoping the AT&T but the 800mA
makes me a little cautious. I can't afford to fry my RCX. Thanks for all the
help.

_ALWAYS_ assume DC on an actual power adapter (at least in the US).  Most AC
devices will just use a simple cord, like you'd find on a portable stereo.  A
handful of devices will need AC power in a non-standard voltage and will use
DC-like power adapters, which puts The LEGO Company in the minority.  I would
actually suggest using neither, since one is likely DC, and the other appears to
have a much higher voltage than I'd ever be comfortable with using.  Radio Shack
might be able to hook you up with an AC power adapter of the right voltage, but
the simplest way is to just hit Bricklink and find a new 9V Train adapter for
cheap.