 Robotics / RCX / 2268
Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:45:51 GMT

John Hansen wrote:

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Dirk Schlei wrote:

I could install the package including brickOS on a Win 98 system as well as
download the related firmware, but could not compile any of the demos!?

I'm looking into the problems that have been reported to me regarding using the
pre-built compiler tools & cygwin on Win98.
Suggestion, dont use Cygwin at all.
Provide a pre-compiled version of:
1.GCC built for host=MingW (ligtweight toolchain for win32 systems that
doesnt need bulky cygwin dlls) and target=rcx or whatever.
2.the BrickOS tools buit using MingW
and 3.the BrickOS firmware built using appropriate calls.
That way, its nice and lightweight and also easy to install.
Plus, it doesnt need cygwin1.dll (which is known to be a bit of a PITA to
use on 9x.