 Robotics / RCX / 2260
Re: Simplifying Cygwin & brickOS/leJOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 04:55:53 GMT

Scott Davis wrote:

Hi
A while ago I looked at using IC for writing programs.  At the time there
were 2 major turnoffs.  There was no support for rotation sensors and you
needed to own one of the serial infrared towers.  It was easy to install and
it had its own firmware.  But that was about a year and a half ago since I
last looked into it.  http://www.kipr.org/ic/index.html is the link.

Scott

I'm just passing the following on for everyone else to read.
scott

Hi Scott,

I don't have posting privs to all these lugnet
lists, but just want to let you know that actually
IC does support encoders (rotation sensors). It's
just not documented. If you look in lib_rcx.ic,
you'll see several functions for encoders:
enable_encoder()
enable_bidir_encoder()
read_encoder()
reset_encoder()
disable_encoder()

I've used all these in my code, and they all work. What's
more, you can directly use the pokeword call that's in
reset_encoder() to stuff any value you want into your
encoder. I've used that too, and it works.

Don't know why the documentation says otherwise!

You do need a serial tower, but these are easy to get thru
bricklink:
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=serial+tower&searchSort=P&sz=10&sellerUsername=&t=&c=&u=&i=&uR=&invNew=&itemType=&invType=

($10-17), or from pitsco:
http://www.pldstore.com/pld/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=246&secid=9&linkon=subsection&linkid=45

Maybe you wouldn't mind posting this info as a follow-up?

Cheers,
Robin