 Robotics / RCX / 1987
Re: BricxCC on Win XP how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:59:20 GMT

I have a nasty feeling this a "facility" in windows at work here.

I have noted that the "classic" ports (serial i/o and parallel) "jabber"
when windows doesn't think they are in use. My suspicion is that there is
some kind of a legacy port plug and play activity going on, just in case
there's a device out there that will respond to some kind of interrogation
command.

I am working on a parallel port programmer and had all kinds of trouble with
this. Once the program that's going to use the port grabs it and uses it,
the spurious signals go away, but they seem to come back after the program
finishes.

All this seems "much to clever for its own good" in my humble and rather old
fashioned opinion.

What I haven't managed to find is any settings in the O/S to turn this
"feature" off. If anyone out there knows about this and how to disable it,
I'd love some pointers. It might cure the green light always on problem too.

JB

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, John Hansen writes:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Pat LaVarre writes:
Does the tower light come on at all?

It never goes off ...