 Robotics / RCX / 1982
Re: BricxCC on Win XP how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 01:11:28 GMT

From: "Philip Thompson" <pct@v21.me.uk>
From: "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr>
From: "John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com>

Wow, key tips, great questions, fun links, thanks again for leading me into
hours of enlightening experimentation.

As a newbie, I'm surprised to think I see nqc reports port in use by exiting
immediately without complaint, and BricxCC reports standard Lego firmware
not present as "No connection to the programmable brick".

I started to believe ... BricxCC ran ok only if ...
as I worked to repeat that result, ... I lost the
ability to make BricxCC work at all ever.

I find now I can't reproduce those earlier results except by secretly
erasing the standard Lego firmware, after I finish using the other comm
software, and after I begin using BricxCC, but before I finish trying to use
BricxCC.

I find I can instantly erase the standard Lego firmware if I loosen one
battery enough to break contact and then I press On-Off button of the RCX.
(I wonder if this procedure risks damage to my RCX?)

Sorry to say I've lost control of one experimental variable.  I have been
moved to Win XP SP1 from Win XP, so I can only say that BricxCC now always
works fine for me on Win XP SP1, provided I first use some other technique
to ensure that standard Lego firmware is present.  For example, I can check
to see the LCD doesn't have blanks in place of the "00.00" that powering on
standard Lego firmware puts there.

C:
cd "\Program Files\BricxCC"
nqc -SCOM1 -TRCX -watch now

I inferred the C: command and then this sequence worked for me as posted.  I
think I see nqc `-watch now` reports standard Lego firmware absent as "No
firmware installed on RCX".  I also played much with:

nqc -SCOM1 -TRCX -remote 0080 1 -remote 0000 1
nqc -SCOM1 -TRCX -remote 0080 1 -remote 0000 12345

With standard Lego firmware present, `-remote 0080 1 -remote 0000 1`
repeatably makes the RCX beebeep.  `-remote 0080 1 -remote 0000 12345`latter
begins with the same beebeep, but then keeps the COM1 port in use for a long
time, unless I ask to exit early via Ctrl+Break.

With standard Lego firmware absent, `-remote ...` completes without
complaint and yet also without any easily perceptible effect.  I imagine we
see no complaint because after a standard Lego op xD2 RemoteCommand nqc
expects no reply.

.\BricxCC.exe

My BricxCC results vary in detail according to whether I try the automagic
or I explicitly specify COM1.  In all failures I see:

Information
No connection to the programmable brick. Certain options will be unavailable.

Sometimes first I see:

Warning
Cannot find brick.  Switch it on or move it closer and press OK.

Never do I see English suggesting standard Lego firmware not present.

I hope to post line by line answers to the remaining open questions.

Pat LaVarre