 Robotics / RCX / 1928
Re: frame RCX reply how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 19:35:37 GMT

4) Before using (1) .. (3), begin by confirming
the packet x 10 FE 10 FE can be sent and echoed.
[Perhaps this packet rarely disturbs a standard RCX?]

This is the PBAliveOrNot (or ping) packet type.

Ouch, we may be framing the hex differently here, sorry.

The only x10 Ping known to me is the x10/18 command op that gets embedded
inside of a packet like x 55 FF 00 10 EF 10 EF to provoke a reply packet like x
55 FF 00 18 E7 18 E7, or vice versa.  But both of those packets have a 3 byte x
55 FF 00 header that's missing from the packet x 10 FE 10 FE that ~kekoa
firmdl3/rcx_comm.c rcx_wakeup_tower seemingly sends.

has the side-effect of reinitializing the toggle
bit used to determine repeat packet

Until I'm more confident we're both framing the hex the same way, I of course
can't know if you mean that these 7 byte packets both have this effect or the 4
byte packet or something else.

Do you have the Minsdstorms SDK?
It covers all the standard LEGO packet types in detail:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2point5/default.asp

Can anyone easily tell me more specifically where inside that SDK I should find
a description of what x 10 FE 10 FE means, as opposed to x 55 FF 00 10 EF 10 EF?

Awhile back rec.toys.lego told me to get those 4,241,521 bytes for me
containing a "LEGO Mindstorms SDK.exe".

I ran the .exe on a Windows machine to extract various .pdf.  I think I
remember I tried the Custom install, but it looked no different than Typical,
despite the hint in the Readme about having to ask if you want protocol info.
Uninstalling and reinstalling now does yield more in "Program Files/LEGO
Software/LEGO Mindstorms SDK/Doc/", namely:
TOWERAPI.HLP
LEGO USB Tower Interface Reference.pdf
LTSETUP.HLP

For a moment I was guessing surely you meant I could find the "the PBAliveOrNot
(or ping) packet type" described in that new .pdf ... but I'm failing to find
it there ... can I?  Or did you just mean to direct me into "LASM Byte
Codes.pdf", page 12 of 108, titled "PBAliveOrNot(0x10)" and stating "The
command tests for the presence of a P-brick and re-initialises the toggle bit
from the communication protocol in the RCX, when executed as a direct command.
When executed as a program command, it resets the power-down timer."

Curiously, cluelessly, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre