 Robotics / RCX / 1925
Re: frame RCX reply how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:33:33 GMT

Anybody know how to divide the bytes incoming
from the RCX IR replies into correct frames, ...

I wonder what the arrival rate actually is.  Could it be:
(8 data + 1 parity + 1 stop bit) /byte / 2400 Hz
= 1/240 s/byte = 4.167ms/byte.

From: Juergen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:38:30 GMT ...

+ 1 start bit

Ah, thanks.  Can we therefore conclude 45.8 ms/byte = 11/2400 s/byte for each
byte of a burst?

I'm told I might want to:

1) Expect first an exact echo of the command packet.

This is what you send reflected by the walls, I think.

Tell me more?  Do we mean to say RCX in the middle of a football field echoes
less well?  Should I discard the echo, rather than checking it for accuracy?

3) Expect the bytes of the reply to arrive one
after another, with no appreciable delay in
between [up to how many bytes?].

Bits 0-2 of the opcode tells you the number, with
6 meaning 0 and 7 meaning 1.  For some special
opcodes it is longer.

I hear you saying this is the command length rule, thus the command echo length
rule, but NOT the reply length rule, because in bricxcc for REPLIES I thought I
saw:

        1 for replies x DA CA BA 8A to ops x 25 35 45 75
        2 for replies x FE CF to ops x 12 30
        8 for reply xEA to op x15
        25 for reply x5A to op xA5
        188 for reply xDF to op x20
        variable for replies x 9C 5B to ops x 63 A4

take a look at
http://graphics.stanford.edu/%7Ekekoa/rcx/#Protocol

Hey ho browser fun.  For me here this is Not found, unless first I visit:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/%7Ekekoa/rcx/
and then add #Protocol to the address bar.  A Url that does work for me is:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/%7Ekekoa/rcx/index.html#Protocol

I actually had been there already ... either I misread what I found or my
question was a little unclear, sorry.  I think this text from ~kekoa just says
what a trace of the serial bytes looks like without error.  I don't see an
algorithm for framing standard RCX replies.

Thanks again in advance, Pat LaVarre