 Robotics / RCX / 1917
Re: frame RCX reply how
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:11:28 GMT

Anybody know how to divide the bytes incoming
from the RCX IR replies into correct frames,
preferably using javax.comm on a Linux/Windows PC?

From: "Brian B. Alano" <throwaway@insightbb.com>
You might take apart javastorms:
http:/www.javastorms.org
They've implemented LNP using javax.comm.

Thanks for the link, but I meant only to be asking:

How do I make sense of RCX replies ...
... when the RCX is first powered and after I download Lego firmware.

Help?  Curiously, cluelessly, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre

P.S.

Do we have no natural language description of how to frame standard replies?

Maybe we could rephrase my question as how do I write a substitute for the
firmware download part of nqc, except that's not my intent.  Rather than
downloading alternative firmware, I just want to speak the Lego IR protocol.

I suppose that includes downloading firmware, but I first want to just
duplicate the "download [byte code] program"  function of the Lego RIS software.

So far all I can do is duplicate the write-only protocol of a Lego IR
remote.  Now I want to tackle the reading of replies.

I found the immortal Kekoa's clear "RCX Internals" discussion of what the
payloads mean, but I haven't yet found talk of how to divide the input into
frames, despite all the noise in the channel.  All I want is frames: from
there I can extract payloads.

P.P.S.

To decide the link to JavaStorms was fun but not conclusive, in my vast
newbie ignorance I had to work thru Six educational steps:

1) I added a '/' slash to form: http://www.javastorms.org

2) I say "fun" thanks because I see no mention of JavaStorms at:
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+lego+rcx

3) Google "rcx lnp" suggests LNP means "LegOS Network Protocol":
http://www.docs.uu.se/docs/undergrad/instances/spring2002/RTSystemDvpMnp/assignments/notes_on_lnp.html

4) Google "rcx legos" suggests:
http://legos.sourceforge.net/
which redirects since "18 July 2002" to:
http://brickos.sourceforge.net/

5) Wandering around the JavaStorms.org web site led to:
http://www.javastorms.org/download.htm
http://www.javastorms.org/data/javastorms-2.0.3.zip
(613,194 bytes)

6) I say "not conclusive" because I think that .zip says JavaStorms use
"util/nqc" to download the alternative firmware "LegOS" and only then talks
javax.comm.  No?