 Robotics / RCX / 1876
Re: Firmware download troubles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:33:57 GMT

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:32:52 GMT, Joseph Woolley
<jwoolley@spamblock.insight.rr.com> wrote:

Matt,

I discovered that the IR LED's and detector on my serial tower was
located higher than I expected and pointed upward somewhat.  I was able
to get better transfers when the tower was leaning forward (pointing
downward so to speak).  Otherwise, I had to raise the RCX up to "eye"
level compared to the tower.

I have not looked at the USB tower yet.

I hope it is something easy to solve!

// Joe

Matt White wrote:
Also:

When it seems to get to the very end before the error appears, I sometimes
get a long (3-4 seconds) low tone from the RCX.

Matt
The problem he's describing, if it's the same one I have, is
independant of the position, direction, and power level of the tower.
It seems to have something to do with BrixCC itself. The only thing I
find puzzling is that Matt (the other Matt :-)) reports the error
happening at different stages of the download, whereas mine is
consistanly at 0008.

I ran into this problem when I was preparing for an RTL Toronto
tournament in early November. It seems to me (IIRC) that I was able to
get around it by using the serial tower early on, but later, due to my
haste, just used the USB tower and RIS2.0 for the firmware downloads.
What I'm saying here is that I didn't experiment with it enough to
determine for certain that it is a USB only problem (and only under
BrixCC).

Matthias Jetleb