 Robotics / RCX / 150
RE: fast firmware downloader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:13:16 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Kekoa Proudfoot
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 1999 3:19 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos@lugnet.com; lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: fast firmware downloader

Markus L. Noga <markus@noga.de> wrote:
I'm currently implementing LNP. As a first demo application, I just
finished a quad-speed firmware downloader. If you're using replacement
firmware, maybe this will be of use to you.

Just for the record, I implemented a dual-speed downloader a few
months ago
and mailed John Tamplin with information about it with regards to the JVM
port that seems to have died.

I used a different strategy to hack the dual speed downloads.  My
dual-speed download used a much shorter firmware stub that simply
reinitialized the ROM to use a double baud rate.  My stub required only 72
bytes as opposed to the 992 required for the implementation Markus
released, considerably reducing the overhead of using fast downloading.

This is what I like so much about the "Extreme Team"...usually more
than one way to skin a cat. I must have missed those posts, Kekoa.
I try to use as much as possible of the ROM code in the brick too.
The next step for pbFORTH is to link right into the math routines instead
of using the slower FORTH routines.

On the subject of long downloads, after pbFORTH is loaded into the brick, I
upload
scripts using straight ASCII at 2400,n,8,1. This IS sensitive to lighting
fluctuations on longer downloads. The complemented byte approach
does "even out" the ones and zeros, but for most random ASCII strings, it's
more
overhead than needed, I think.

Now I'll have to integrate the stubs and such into my TCL based GUI for the
RCX....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>