 Robotics / RCX / 1478
Re: inverted penulum
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:33:52 GMT

Claude Baumann wrote:

We just started studying the inverted pendulum problem in order to solve it
with the RCX and lejos or legos or PBForth. We are not decided yet. At first
sight this seems a rather serious problem. Has anybody worked already around
the subject? What about implanting a Kalman-filter or working with fuzzy-logic?

I have already worked on this subject, because it was one of the
projects of the last year teachings. Because we did not have lots of
time for this work, this is mainly a rough study. The conclusion of this
study was that there were so much elements out of control (weight,
stiffness, friction, lack of precision,...) that the mathematical model
is very hard to use and apply. A more Fuzzy approach as so been used.
However, we did never obtain an uptime over 10 seconds...

We used legOS because it seems to be the lowest level OS, and so we
could expect more speed and reactivity.
A big part of the work was to get a good angle sensor (using parts of
the RIS 1.5), and also to get a good pendulum. (Mac Gyver helped us a
lot...)

We did a paper on the web about it, with some pictures
(http://laleks.free.fr/mindstorms/index.html) but it's in french.

Feel free to ask advices or translations, or some parts of code.

Alexandre BEC