 Robotics / RCX / 1084
Re: About IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:22:39 GMT

No matter if your tower is connected before booting, it's not a PnP device !
What's more, a serial port can safely be added/removed because it's just a
text device.

On Linux, you can easily test your IR tower :

echo 'RCX please show me a sign' >/dev/ttyS0   (/dev/ttyS1 for COM2)

If the green point appears on the tower, it's alive. Else try the other
port...

I remember something very nervous breaking about IR tower :

The first time I have downloaded legOS on my RCX, the transfert did not
complete, leaving my RCX firmwareless. I had just-later a little kind of
panic since all following NQC-commands always ended with a "No reply from
RCX". After one day of stress, and lots of tries, I had a very good result
just with turning off my desktop-light. Since it is a energy-saver one and
my tower and my RCX were on my desktop, it was totally impossible to dial
with the RCX, even at less than 5 cm. So  now, each time I need to download
sthg, I turn off the light as people flashing EPROM turn on their UV light...

Of course, you can also banish your light (or your tower) from your desktop,
it may work too...

Le Vendredi 23 Février 2001 11:54, Bob Fay a ?rit :
The tower must be connected before you boot the computer. Have you tried
using the other COM port? If your mouse is using the other port, swap it
and try the tower in that port. Remember to reboot. If all else fails, you
need a friend to loan you a tower to test with.

--
Bob Fay
rfay@we.mediaone.net

http://bobfay.users5.50megs.com/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/
"Zhengrong Zang" <mikezang@iname.com> wrote in message

I remember I connected to serial port without power off when I use IR
tower every time, can  it let IR tower get fault?

Zhengrong

Zhengrong Zang wrote:
I haven't used my RCX for a while, I found it doesn't work when I want
to download firmware to it today. In fact, it is near non working!
The RCX2 tools, nqc, lejos and WinNQC all can't find this RCX, but it
can be found in 1% chance even if I put it next to IR Tower, does it
mean my RCX no longer works? does anyone has same experience?

Alexandre BEC
laleks@free.fr
http://laleks.free.fr