 Robotics / RCX / 1082
Re: My RCX doesn't work!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:57:50 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 05:16:36 GMT, Zhengrong Zang <mikezang@iname.com>
wrote:

I haven't used my RCX for a while, I found it doesn't work when I want
I suppose the obvious question is: Have you checked the batteries in
both the RCS and the IR tower? And I do mean have you CHECKED the
batteries - never assume that a "new" battery right out of the package
hasn't been sitting on a store shelf or in a warehouse for a year.
Have you made sure the units are clean?

The less obvious problem could be the cable. If you've kept it plugged
in all this time and just haven't used it, it is possible that it has
been dislodged at one end or the other..

Another hint: if you have a camcorder or a security camera, point it
at the tower and the RCX and try downloading. You should be able to
clearly see the LED flash, even though it isn't visible to the human
eye. Most CCD's (the image capturing device in a camera)  are
sensitive to infra-red to various degrees. I use this method all the
time for testing IR remotes. A weak flash means a weak battery. No
flash is either a dead battery or an improper connection to the
computer.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ