 Robotics / RCX / *8160 (-20)
  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

Thanks for the response. (...) It seems to me it's a design flaw in the entire method of counting rotations, which relies on the theoretical ideal of "instantaneous" voltage changes, which can't be produced. You can't go from 2V to 5V without (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Yes, I did read your information. It was very helpful - the best stuff I found on the subject. But as you said, modifying the sensor would probably disqualify. But, that does make me think again about the recent unavailability of the part . . (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Rather well... (...) ...but it was beaten by a simpler but slightly heavier 'bot! And it sometimes committed suicide too :-(( Philo (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

"Don Stauffer" <BrainChild@Skyler.com> wrote in message news:Hoz4Gp.1zto@lugnet.com... (...) <<SNIP>> (...) The rotation sensor bad counts cannot be fixed at the byte-code level. The problem is "native" to implementation in the underlying firmware (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

Hello Don, Did you had a look to my analysis of this problem ((URL) But unfortunately I don't think that my modification is "competition-legal"... I agree that sampling can occur at the wrong time, but this should not occur more often at low (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) I've used some of the LabView features, though it seems like they work best when used on constants, rather than variables or containers. My impression, though, is that the non-Robolab-specific LabView features aren't what I'm looking for (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

(...) fine (...) (all (...) Ya, its a real pain in the arse... Rob (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Robolab can access LASM code (Lego Assembler) which may allow you to write instructions that fit your needs. The LASM documentation is part of the Mindstorms 2.0 SDK available from (URL) not an assembler programmer so I have no idea if this (...) (21 years ago, 27-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Two problems: 1. From what I've read about the problem, the speed I ran it at was right in the "sweet spot". 2. BrickOS would not qualify for the competition. I wonder if (hope?) the recent unavailability of rotation sensors at Pitsco is (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, FTX)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

Hey, Rob, that's what I was doing last night as well.. but I was installing the w2kpro as my virtual machine (VMWare). However, I ran into some system problem and I have to do this again today. If it works with the w2kpro on your toshiba satellite (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler

(...) Don't run it too quickly or too slowly. (URL) Um, that's all I know, besides using BrickOS which has code to make it more accurate. You mentioned that already. Actually, now that I think about it, BrickOS might be able to run assembly language (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, FTX)

  Robolab, byte codes and assembler

Having investigated rotations sensors thoroughly, I conclude they have some serious design flaws. Most notably, some samples taken during voltage transitions can be impossible to differentiate from samples at entirely different rotational positions. (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) So, how well did it work? How did the robot do? (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) (URL) such a mechanism I built in my latest sumobot... (sorry, bad photograph) Two gear shifts are activated at the same time, one for right wheels, the other for left wheels. The gearshift is activated by a motor controlled by RCX, gearing (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Yes, thank you - you explained it very well. The day after posting the question, I realized a differential would solve the problem... but you stated the solution far more clearly than I had thought of it. Now, of course, I'm trying to think (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> wrote in message news:HoMq73.B9J@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) ceased (...) I (...) OK, I have the problem fixed. You may not like the remedy, but it worked lastnight flawlessly. Oh, and the PCMCIA USB (...) (21 years ago, 26-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Yes, that was the problem Brian was having. And, because the LEGO motors are so efficent, they work really well as generators. So, if you hook two together, and try to turn 1 and stop the other, you will have problems. I'm not sure I explained (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Weird downloading error

Just some general ideas. If you're not using the firmdl or lejosfirmdl that came with lejos, try using one of those. Some versions of some downloaders have trouble with the lejos firmware. If you haven't tried fresh batteries in your RCX, try that. (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) I'm just thinking out loud here, but it seems that the problem with the two middle motors is that they are wired together. So even if the RCX is told to float the motor output, both motors will want to turn together. If one turns, it will act (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: multiple motors

(...) Well, I've never actually tried running six motors directly from the RCX. However, I have used three motors to drive a sumo robot. And I've also used four motors (two on each side) to drive six wheels (two on the right, two on the left, and (...) (21 years ago, 25-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact