 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 93
Re: Real C/C++ Programming Solution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:35:05 GMT

Takashi Chikamasa wrote:

  LEJOS OSEK also supports the program upload to Flash. However, I
intentionally
do not describe it in the docs. I am not sure about the life cycle of Flash in
the ATMEL ARM7 very well, however, some lugnet discussions told me that the
lifecyle of the Flash seems to be very limited (100 times?).

As far as I know, this is from the manufacturers extreme limits of
operation. I have personally cycled my NXT through a SAMBA load many
hundreds of times by now and have seen no ill effects.

Your mileage may, of course, vary...

At one time I had a simple minimal gdb aware kernel I loaded into FLASH
and I loaded small (up to 64K) images into RAM and ran from there.

Eventually, I was going to make a library that could be FLASHed so
that you could link a small RAM application to fixed entry points,
which is how I got pbForth to work on the RCX...

Ralph