 Robotics / Handy Board / 7600
Re: Overcharged battery?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:38:40 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
hi dennis,

well, it's just a plain C/10 charge circuit.  but i was under the
impression that nicad's aren't damaged by that.  it's possible i'm
wrong :-).

Hi Fred,

  I don't claim to be an expert on these, but what I have read leads me to
believe that this may damage the cells if left on too long.

  For common NiCds (800mah AA' for instance) C/10 should really be considered
a fast charge and not a trickle charge.  I have truthfully managed to
quickcharge them at 1.5C without appearing to hurt them. The sub-C NiCd's are a
really tough variety that can take a 3C charge as a quick charge.  In that
group, we have a rule of thumb of quick charging at 3C or 5Amps max - I'm not
sure where that rule came from, but it appears to work, but only on sub-C cells
(1400-2000mah packs).
  If your cells are consistantly warm on the charger then I think you are
pushing them and could be damaging them.  The process that causes them to get
warm is interesting, and I'm not sure that I fully understand it, and certainly
don't want to try to explain it in one paragraph or less, but it is discussed in
this next book.

  A good book describing charging techniques and what is going on inside a NiCd
is "Maintenance-Free Bateries Lead-Acid, Nickel/Cadmium, Nickel/Metal Hydride A
Handbook of Battery Technology" Second Edition by D. Berndt (1997)
Research Studies Press LTD
Taunton, Somerset, England
John Wiley and Sons INC, New York, NY...
ISBN 0 471 97018 2 (USA)

Another interesting publication is NASA Reference publication 1326 (1994)
"Handbook for Handling and Storage of Nickel-Cadmium Batteries: Lessons Learned"
Gopalakrishna M. Rao, Thomas Y. Yi
Goddard Space Flight Center
Floyd E. Ford (Swales & Associates Beltsville, Maryland)

any other battery experts out there?

You can try Red's Battery clinic (pages), lots of stuff there:
http://gnv.fdt.net/~redscho/

have fun,
DLC

fred

In your message you said:
In lugnet.robotics.handyboard, Fred G. Martin writes:
no i disagree with this answer.  the HB is designed to be left on
normal charge indefinitely.  the batts can get a little warm.  if they
are hot then something is wrong, but a little warm is nothing to worry
about.

  I was guessing here - most chargers don't check for peak charge, since I
didn't know if the Handiboard charger did or didn't...  If the charger has a
trickle charge of more than C/50 or C/100 then NiCds will be damaged eventual • ly
on a long-term charger, but, like I said, I was guessing about the charger
circuit on the H-board, there are some pretty smart NiCd peak-charger chips o • ut
there.

YMMV,
DLC