 Robotics / Handy Board / 7587
7586  |  7588
Subject:
Overcharged battery?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:32:04 GMT

I've got a pre-assembled Gleason Research HB with expansion board, and
have a
couple questions.  We've left it plugged in (on normal charge mode) for
a week or so.

I started to look at the specs to hook up a Futaba servo (6V), and found
that with no load, the servo ports are at 10V.  OK, with no servo
current, I expect little voltage drop across the diode string, but the
top of the diode string (on the expansion board), i.e. the HB main
battery, is at 11.3V!

The HB seems to work just fine, but I'm concerned about hooking up my 6V
servo to a 10V sourse.  I've yet to load the servo ports with a resistor
or something to see if that brings it down, but even with a 0.7v/diode
drop, we'd be significantly high.

Am I misunderstanding the schematics?

Thanks,
Kevin
--
Kevin Nickels <kevin@dime.engr.trinity.edu>
  Assistant Professor, Engineering Science