 Robotics / Handy Board / 7601
Re: Overcharged battery?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:49:58 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:06:25 GMT, Fred G. Martin <fredm@media.mit.edu> wrote:
when fully charged and with no load it is not unusual to measure 10 to
11v on a nominal 9.6v pack.
OK, this is good to know.

re: adding a drop resistor in series with the servo pwr, it should not
be necessary, that is the purpose of the large 3 ampere drop diodes.
Yes, *if* more drop is necessary, more rectifier diodes would be called
for (i.e. relatively fixed voltage drop), not a series resistor (v=iR).

kevin, if you would, please add a load (10 ohm 5 watt resistor e.g.)
and let us know the measured voltage.
I didn't have any 5watt resistors handy, so I put a pretty generic DC motor
on there as a load.  It dropped it to 6.3 volts (the classic 0.7/diode),
which is still a bit higher than I expected (aren't standard servos nominal
5V? -- I was told that >6v would blow them...), but probably not enough to
blow the servo (?).

Thanks,

Kevin Nickels
--
Kevin Nickels <kevin@dime.engr.trinity.edu>
  Assistant Professor, Engineering Science