 Robotics / Handy Board / 7020
7019  |  7021
Subject:
building a remote debugger for win32 -- need help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:00:57 GMT

Hi everybody,

As a part of a project at my university we're building a
crossdevelopment environment for the Windows environment. As a part of
this programming environment we want to build a remote debugger. So,
we will have to incorporate a downloader and a remote debugging
mechanism that works over the serial interface.
In the end we hope to have a fullblown Borland-C like programming
environment for the 68HC11, with both simulated debugging and remote
debugging. (Yup, we're ambitious:-))

And right at the beginning of all this i'm walking into problems. I
can't find anywhere in the extensive documentation that is available
on the web how to communicate with the 68hc11 over the serial line,
other than with Interactive C. This is not an option for us:-(.

So right now I'm writing a C++ object that will communicate with the
board. When instantiated it should install the talker that comes with
pcbug11 (talkeree.s19) on the board and then wait for commands that
are transmitted over the serial line.

Right now i've come as far as to open the serial comport on the pc to
talk to the board but i have no idea where to go from there. Can
anybody help me?

For the c++ literate, here's the interface of the C++ object:

class SerialCommunicator
{
public:
    SerialCommunicator(int port, int speed);
   //the constructor should automatically install the talker
    int open(); //opens the comport
    int close(); //closes the comport
    int read(); //should read from the serial line. Stores what it
                   //reads in private datamember Data
    int write(char *Data);//should send data to the board
    int readStatus(){ return status;}
    //this is just to keep the state
private:
    SerialCommunicator(SerialCommunicator &SC);
    // disables copyconstruction
    int portNr, comSpeed, status;//no comment needed
    char Data[255];//string in which to store data that comes
                            //from the serial connection
    HANDLE hCom; //win32 handle to a comport
    //below are other members needed by the win32 API
    DCB Dcb;
    COMMTIMEOUTS Timeouts;

};

Regards.