 Robotics / Handy Board / 7023
Re: building a remote debugger for win32 -- need help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:25:07 GMT

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:20:42 GMT, handyboard@media.mit.edu (Christopher
Prosser) wrote:

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but here are my ideas. To get a clean
HB up and running you need to do the following (assuming talkeree.s19 is
larger than 256 bytes)
1) Start off by booting the HB into bootstrap mode. This makes the board
listen to the serial line at 7812 baud if I recall correctly.
2) Feed it 256 bytes. These 256 bytes go at 0x0000. At the end of the 256
bytes the chip will jump to 0x0000 and start executing.
3) Hopefully the 256 byte program you loaded is now able to load the much
larger and more interesting program from the SCI into RAM. (this would be
talkeree.s19).
4) Now that talkeree is loaded you should be able to restart the board
(power cycle) and have it come up running talkeree and talk to it using the
serial port. I don't know anything about talkeree. I'm sure it has its own
preferences over baud rate, parity, etc that you'll need to find out.

Ok thnx i will try this. I should note that don't have the exact
handyboard. Ours is called the botboard but it's based on the same mcu
and works fine with pcbug11.

Personally, I would only do work where I added value. There are lots of
bootstrap downloaders for the handyboard (HBDL is my favorite) that will
take care of that initial 256 byte bootstrap and then download a s19 file.
You can probably even find the source code for one to incorporate if you are
hell bent on having it integrated in your project.

Well we're aiming for a real environment and therefore i think it
would be elegant to have incorporate it. Ofcourse I thought the same:
why redo somebody's work... So I emailed Vladim to see if I could get
his sourcecode and do some cutting and pasting, but I didn't get a
response so I thought that maybe he's not MIT anymore...

Since I don't really know how talkeree works, this might be out in left
field, but there is something to keep in mind. If you plan on using the LCD,
you will most likely  need to modify talkeree.

My board doesn't have an LCD:-) Besided we want to use the same
debugging interface for simulated and remote debugging.

Good luck!  BTW, will the project be GPLed? The windows version of
Interactive C pales in comparison with the Mac.

I'm a big fan of open source so yeah if I call the shots it will be.
But our mentor wanted us to develop it for use here at the uni.. We
haven't really discussed it yet but you have my vote:-)

Byebye!
Hans