 Robotics / Handy Board / 5929
Re: GCC 2.8.1 for HC11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:38:07 GMT

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Ken Hornstein wrote:

Another question: _which_ cross-assembler does it use?  The one based on
the ASXXXX cross-assembler (the so-called "Baldwin assembler") or another
one?

In the xasm/doc directory it says "ASxxxx Cross Assemblers, Version 1.1,
June 1990.  Submitted by Alan R. Baldwin, Kent State University".  I guess
that's your answer.

Let me know a better route to follow for the assembler/linker please.

Oh, does the current cross-compiler still use
the pseudo-register hack?  That was something I always wanted to go back
and fix properly.

From what I've seen, it still uses it.  It looks like 2 of the registers
have been deleted in the latest stuff, but that looks like the only change
to the pseudo-registers.  Here are the two that are gone from the latest
sources:

  /* Define 2 pseudo hard registers which map to y register for frame and
     argument pointers */
  #define HARD_FP_REGNUM 20
  #define HARD_AP_REGNUM 21

And of course the next #define (FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER) has gone from 22
down to 20, and other sections are tweaked to delete FP and AP.

If you want to go back and fix it properly, let me know if I can help.
Pseudo-registers appear to be the most inefficient part of the port
(according to what all the notes say).

I also saw something about a 6809 port in the sources.  If someone did a
6809 port to gcc at one time, where is it now?  I don't need it, but I
hate to see useful code go down the drain.  A similar philosophy makes
sure my garage is always full.   :-(

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin
"Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U