 Robotics / Handy Board / 2389
Re: Communication with PC (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 00:26:45 GMT

REF: TCP/IP & the HandyBoard

Hello Mr. Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delay of my own
feedback.

I inquired about the TCP/IP alternative because we have
acquired two Nomadic Technologies Mercury RF TCP/IP modems.
They are spread-spectrum and frequency-hopping and also
support the TCP/IP protocol.
From what I gleaned from the manual, it is enough that the
device to which the modem is connected to, pass on (to the
modem) the address of the modem/device to receive the message
and the message itself. Apparently this means that the whole
TCP/IP stack resides and is maintained by the modem(s) them-
selves, a most interesting feature.
I hope this is true, since that would take a whole lot of
code off the HB.

The Proxlink modem seems to be very similar to the Nomadic
Mercury.

Our next generation of robots will be considerable smaller
(the Mercury is roughly the size of the HB, narrower and
longer). Where did you acquire the 900 MHz modems you men-
tioned and how large are they?

Thank you for your attention and any information you may provide.

Marco A.A. de Oliveira assfalk@eece.unm.edu
ACE Robot Soccer Project Coordinator UNM/NASA ACE Center