 Robotics / Handy Board / 1737
Re: Sonar and the handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:30:05 GMT

Tom,

I purchased 2 OEM kits (4 ranging units w/transducers)
From this I had 3 bad ranging units.  You'll notice a
socketed chip on the PCB.  I would suspect that this chip
is suspect to failure.

Anyways, in order to solve your problem, I would suggest
you become very familiar with the operation of the ranging
unit.  Then, scope the unit from the transducer back.
To get you started place a 10ohm resistor between the negative
lead to the tranducer and check the signal across the resistor.
It should show as being approx. 50kHz at 400V.  This will tell
you that the pulse is correct.

It's a tough to correspond with you on this kind of problem
through email.  The sonar system is complex in its operation.

I also read the email on damping of the transducer.  This is
not a big issue.  The sonar unit is stable enough that damping
is a minimal issue.  I would agree it's not good to have the
operational unit in any sort of vibration while taking readings,
but other than that it's stable.

You might want to get a hold of Polaroid and ask for some
assistance from an Applications Engineer.  These guy are good
with these kinds of problems.

Good luck.

Adam B. Cox      check out my web page
Computer Engineer http://www.zenox.com/~adam
Zenox Communications Corp. vmail: 416-241-7000 (x224)