 Robotics / Handy Board / 1512
Re: Motors & handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:25:39 GMT

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Chuck McManis wrote:
Driving the Tamiya BullDozer from the HB is certainly possible
but if you do this I highly recomend an optically isolated external
H-bridge. The easiest way to do this is to take a four channel
optoisolator (available from Digikey (1-800-digikey)) to drive
an integrated H-bridge like the UDN2998W (the L293's really big

Why not use the H-bridge that is already on the bulldozer?  If
you work backwards throught the motor driver circuitry, or use the RF
controller to send commands to the dozer and see what voltages change you
can figure out where the inputs to the motor driver circuitry are.  Once
you find this you can hook up optocouplers to this part and voila!  You
have control of your dozer for the cost of 4 optocouplers (about $.79 each).

Garth Webb