 Robotics / Handy Board / 1485
Re: Motors & handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 07:40:48 GMT

To measure current with an multimeter or ammeter (volt/ohm/etc.. meter)
you must break the circuit at some point and put the meter
in series with the circuit thus gapping the break.

ie)

    +-----(+) METER (-)------+
    |                        |
    |                        |
   (+)                       |
  POWER                      |
   (-)                       |
    |                        |
    |                        |
    +---------\/\/\/---------+

POWER = some source of power (battery, etc.)
METER = obvious (but, switched to measure current)
\/\/\/= circuit represented by is resistive nature

WARNING: damage to the meter may occur if you do not
hook the meter according to the instructions provided

CAUTION: check the polarity twice, and set the meter
to its highest measurement of current (usually 10A)
If you think the current is beyond this setting.
DO NOT MEASURE IT!  You require a better meter.

If the meter shows no reading at its highest range of
measurement, (note: circuit will also be disfunctional)
then bring it down a notch (usually 33-320mA)

Adam B. Cox      check out my web page
Computer Engineer http://www.zenox.com/~adam
Zenox Communications Corp. vmail: 416-241-7000 (x224)