 Robotics / Handy Board / 1474
Re: Motors & handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:52:25 GMT

Yesterday I tried to run a motor out of the HB. First I tried how much =
current it needed with a multimeter and a 5V power source ... The result =
75mA.=20

how did you take this measurement exactly?  I think 75 mA might be
kind of low, most motors will draw this much when they are just
spinning but doing no useful work, but then draw much more when they
are driving a geartrain.

When I tried to run the motor from the HB, after turning on the motor at =
low speed (motor (0,20);) to make sure I wasn't sending to much current =
through the motor drivers, the  motor  ran for a second and then the HB =
power led lighted and the board was reset.

Is that a sign that the power the motor needs is much higher than the HB =
can supply. In this case I would expect the motor drivers to burn, but =
not to cause the HB to reset.

actually, having the HB reset is a standard failure mode when the
motor is drawing too much current.

Try putting a 0.1 uF disk capacitor right across the motor terminals.
This often helps, but I would not be surprised if the motors you have
simply are not suited to the HB.

For example, many cheap DC motors are 3v toy motors that draw lots of
current (2 A or more) and are very noisy.  These won't work with the
HB at all.

-Fred