 Robotics / 9999
Re: Expected battery life
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:58:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "ssweeney@sanders.com" <ssweeney@sanders.com> writes:
Activate de-lurk and engage.....

I got a RIS recently and am having great fun with it. I am working
with the tank tread robot from the manual trying out the line
following challenge.

What I find is that the bot will move nicely forward and bog down in
turns. One motor will appear to stall. I have looked for any place
the parts may be binding and have found none. I am wondering
if this is just weak batteries. They are down to 7.8V.
Remember that with the standard software, the 'stopped' motor is actually
shorted out, and breaking. Treads use quite a lot of power when turning this
way (the front and back are actually being scrubbed sideways, and the power
for this comes from the moving motor). Never try to 'undergear' when driving a
rubber tread. It is better to have a lot of reduction gearing, and limit your
top speed, and keep the motor lightly loaded.

How long do you normally get from a fresh set of good quality batteries?
Does depend wildly on the batteries. I spent Christmas playing with various
caterpillar tracked vehicles of this sort, and after three days was still on
the original set.

Also, in building a simple two wheel and castor bot as per the instructions,
the robot does not travel in a straight line as the instructions say it
will. Is it possible that I have a bad motor?
It is possible, but the geared motors with the RCX are pretty 'good', in terms
of reliability. The motors are never quite the same, and this is why steering
takes a lot more skill...