 Robotics / 9250
RE: First Lego League Software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:22:56 GMT

Sorry about the initials mixup.

In the note on the 2000 season, it seems they will be releasing the new
software guidelines in the spring. I'm willing to bet that they will allow
just about any other software to be used, especially since NQC has become
so popular among enthusiasts.

I doubt it sincerely.  The contest is aimed at kids, and allowing any
software environment seriously destabilizes the playing field.  Some have
variables, some don't, etc.  Although I really think the RCX Code system is
limiting, I totally support a LEGO-only software policy for FLL.  At least
everyone has the same tools.

But, where did you hear they will be releasing new software guidelines in
the spring?  I follow this pretty closely, and have seen nothing, other than
a question on the questionnaire about whether we would be interested in a
spring contest.

Here's a link. Check out the section on RoboLab at the bottom and they indicate
new software for the spring...

http://www.legomindstorms.com/first/faq.html#6b

I agree that the playing field should be as level as possible, but on the
other hand, here's a chance for a community mentor to come in and help
the kids to discover programming languages first hand - with all of the fun
of making things go, not writing yet another prime number seive...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com