 Robotics / 9235
Re: Is a CDROM really necessary for mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:36:53 GMT

Yes, you can.  I run the original on a AST 486 laptop without a CD drive.  I
have a pccard "scsi bus toaster" that I use to connect a CD drive when I
install things.  You can't do the video animiation stuff, which runs off the
CD, but you can use the programming environment fully.  It is just slow as
molasses on that old laptop.  I do recommend installing it on a real machine
as well, so you can go through the tutorial stuff.

BTW, I have to use the original code.  NQC is nice, but not for FLL contests
where you have to use LEGO only software.

--Jack Gregory

Alan Burlison <Alan.Burlison@uk.sun.com> wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Mindstorms set (I understand 1.0 is better
than the 1.5 version), and I have an old Toshiba laptop that I can
dedicate purely to Mindstorms use. Unfortunately it doesn't have a
CDROM.  If I transfer the contents of the CDROM to disk will I be able
to run it from there rather than the CDROM?  Do you need the CDROM in
the drive whenever you are using Mindstorms, or just during install?  I
could always network the laptop up just to get the software installed.

Thanks,

Alan Burlison