 Robotics / 8969
Re: Lego de-lurks!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:04:34 GMT

Hi !

Increased sensor/motor I/O is a must and do-able. RF would be
great, and I don't understand why Cybermaster is RF and the RCX
is IR.

As far as the sensors are concerned, having been working away on a
range of such devices, I am most noticably struck by how much they
cost (just at the component level) in comparison to what Lego costs.

So I applaud your list, but I doubt the engineers at lego will have the
freedom to design and build $50 sensors. So its back to the soldering
iron and dremel tool for me!

JB

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Hamlett <roger@ttelmah.demon.co.uk>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 1999 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: Lego de-lurks!

In lugnet.robotics, "Marco C." <marco@soporcel.pt> writes:
WOW! YEAH! :)
Is there a page with an organized Lego pBrick related wish list ?

Ok, let's see my wish list:

1) A SuperRCX with *at leat* 6 sensor ports, at least 4 motors, a
rechargeable battery through a it's own power port and RF antenas for PC
comms together with IR for inter-RCX's comms *or*

2) A CyberMaster<->RCX proper *comunication* interface, at least one that
could transmit/receive a value other than the light->lightsensor's
on(1)/off(0) values (I know, I know, it's possible to do a soft routine • for
serial comunication of >1 values)

3) LEGO Technic 9v Light brick (er... is this already available ?)

4) MORE Sensor's !!! :) (er... a GPS sensor is out of the question ? • ehehe)
Well not much use given the limited accuracy of GPS over a small area.

4.1) Compass Sensor ?
Most of the compass sensors draw too much current. However it should be
possible to do something.

4.2) A compact *small* analogue-like Tilt Sensor (0 to 100% values)
This is possible. I am having thoughts...

4.3) Compact Ultrasonic range finder
(check John Barnes's http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/ultra.htm)
The problem is that the actual ultrasonic transducers 'limit' the minimum • size
this can go to... I am just laying out a PCB for a 'variant' of this unit • (I
use a variable current source to return the data, rather than the voltage
source used by most people - requires one more transistor, but reduces • current
demand by a noticeable amount - however the unit is still going to have to • be
a couple of bricks 'high', just to get the transducers in.

4.4) What about a magnetic sens... HEY!!! THAT'S IT! ...now I have
something for my LegoBot to search (simulating food)! I'll do a magnetic
sensor out of a TouchSensor and a magnet! Yes! (Has anyone done this • before ?)
I have been trying to do an inductive sensor that will follow a wire • carrying
a particular signal.

Ok, for Video/Audio "sensor" there's the X10 wireless color Cam thing :)
(well, a smaller 9v Audio/Video Sender would be nice)
I could add a few more. Genuine 'light', rather than covering the brick. A
full 'line track' sensor (I have a couple of quite good prototypes of • this).
Lots of ideas...