 Robotics / 8720
RE: Motor not turning - help please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:12:41 GMT

There have been some posts in the past that perhaps the red motor has an
internal circuit breaker to protect it from stalls, but from taking one
apart, I haven't found any such thing.

Depending on the motor specs, stalling a motor isn't necessarily a bad thing
for the motor. One of the favorite switch machines for model railroads (the
device that you connect to the turnouts to move them) uses a stall motor for
example. You simply apply power to it, and it runs until it stalls. To throw
the turnout the other way, you reverse power. Totally simple - two wires for
hookup, and no internal contacts or switches that can go bad. You can leave
it in the stalled position all day long.

As I said, it depends on the motor. So don't do this with your 9V Lego
Technic motor.

Tilman