 Robotics / 8687
Re: Motor not turning - help please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 05:48:32 GMT

After taking apart a micromotor (red motor) that wasn't working, I found
out that the reason why they sometimes get stuck is because the internal
gears use such small plastic teeth that sometimes they don't mesh well.
Plus, since they are plastic it looks like the teeth could easily be
warped, which would also cause the motor to get stuck.  With internal
parts that small, precision is absolutely necessary, and the plastic
parts aren't sufficient IMO.  But the design of gearing down the red
motor internally is really cool to look at and take apart.  As an added
plus, I was able to fix the motor too.
There have been some posts in the past that perhaps the red motor has an
internal circuit breaker to protect it from stalls, but from taking one
apart, I haven't found any such thing.
--
Cheers,
Henry C.