 Robotics / 8633
8632  |  8634
Subject:
IR scanner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:56:00 GMT

All the talk recently about lasers, traversing mazes, infra-red
transmission, and trying to accurately track your robot's position in a room
or maze has gotten me thinking.

What if you built a rotating laser or infrared transmitter on top of your
robot?  Three sensors located at specific locations around a maze (for
instance) could register the time delay between laser (or infrared)
"pulses".

The longer the delay, the farther away the robot is from the sensor.  And
the converse.

It would take a lot of testing to get the timing figured out, and if the
maximum sampling speed of your sensors is too slow then the robot would move
too slowly to be interesting, but it might be an interesting exercise for
someone with a maze, a mazewalker, and sensors to try out.

I'm still just getting the boxes open!
- Christian

Christian Jacobsen
Budapest, Hungary

"Without crackpots, freedom of expression is just no fun."
  - Roahn Wynar