 Robotics / 8637
Re: IR scanner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:17:55 GMT

The longer the delay, the farther away the robot is from the sensor.  And
the converse.

I don't think that light-pulse based distance measurements will ever be an
option for Lego robots. But your idea can be used in another context (that • has
been talked about around here).

Duh.  I spoke before I thought.  Sorry about that.

Namely, using a light beam as a directional beacon. •   [snip]
There is a sore spot here: the robot will be turning and spinning - thus • the
angular position cannot be absolute.

Taking Jim Thomas' suggestion of using ultrasonic sound instead of lasers,
you could install two ultrasonic sound sources on your robot to solve the
angular position problem.  Set one source to scan a 180 degree arc in front
of the robot, and the other could scan the 180 degrees behind.  Receivers
around the room could then tell you which direction the robot was pointing.
The question is, how tightly focused can you keep the sound "beam"?

Heck, you might even be able to measure the Doppler Effect to determine
how/where the robot is moving!

OK...I'll try to think a little more before I speak next time!  ;-)

- Christian