 Robotics / 8634
Re: IR scanner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:45:18 GMT

Christian Jacobsen wrote:
What if you built a rotating laser or infrared transmitter on top of your
robot?  Three sensors located at specific locations around a maze (for
instance) could register the time delay between laser (or infrared)
"pulses".

The longer the delay, the farther away the robot is from the sensor.  And
the converse.

I may be underestimating the capabilities of current Lego sensors, but I believe
that the time difference of (light across 1 foot) and (light across 10 feet)
would be too small to register without some seriously fast processing.

[ BTOE check...

186000 mi/s * 5280 feet/mi = 96,720,000 ft/s ==> 1.0339e-08 s/ft
means we're talking about hundredths or thousandths of microseconds
here.....]

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |