 Robotics / 8635
Re: IR scanner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:53:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Christian Jacobsen" <xtian@net-collect.com> writes:
What if you built a rotating laser or infrared transmitter on top of your
robot?  Three sensors located at specific locations around a maze (for
instance) could register the time delay between laser (or infrared)
"pulses".

The longer the delay, the farther away the robot is from the sensor.  And
the converse.

Hi!

I don't think that light-pulse based distance measurements will ever be an
option for Lego robots. But your idea can be used in another context (that has
been talked about around here).

Namely, using a light beam as a directional beacon. On the robot, the light
beam is rotating and a rotation sensor is attached to it. Several fixed points
around the room (at least three) will detect the light pulse and the position
of the robot can be determined from the angular position of the light beam
relative to the fixed points.

There is a sore spot here: the robot will be turning and spinning - thus the
angular position cannot be absolute. But it should be possible to use the
system if the rotation speed of the light beam is enough greater than the
rotation speed of the robot (how much is "enough greater"?)

I don't say this is easier to set up properly, to calibrate and to make it
work, but there are larger chances to make it work. [maybe you were thinking
about the same thing?]

/Vlad