 Robotics / 8467
Re: lack of interest in basic stamp and basicx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:20:46 GMT

The reason I use NQC and have not gone to legOS is related to the rest of my
life.  I am a software consultant - I write programs all day long.  I prefer to
focus on the mechanical aspect of robotics instead of the programming.

So far NQC has not limited my abilities in any way.  I havn't gone above 10
variables, much less come close to the max.  NQC does what I need it to.  Also,
from what I have read - logOS is difficult to install on NT - my current
available platform.  NQC was so easy it almost installed itself.  I have Linux
here but it is not installed on any machine right now and won't until I
reconfigure some things.

When the day comes (and I'm sure it will) that I require things not available in
NQC I will look at other options, but until then I am very pleased with what I
am using.

-Wes

Jonathan Perret wrote:

Hi
I am a little bit curious as to why there seems to
be such a lack of interest in the Parallax Basic Stamp
and its new high powered alternative the Basicx.

What I've always wondered about the Basic Stamp is why anyone would
want to use Basic to program an microcontroller.
I love Basic but when coding for a robot I want to take full
advantage of the hardware, and that means programming it in Forth
or C. There isn't anything you can do in Basic that you can't do
by programming the firware yourself.
The same goes for NQC or orther tools relying on the standard Lego
firmware. Why people insist on using the Lego firmware when it
imposes completely artificial limitations on things you can do in
your programs ?
I don't mean to say that NQC is not an outstanding tool, I just
don't understand why people who are ready to mess with electronics
to build homemade sensors don't take the plunge and code directly
to the metal...

Confused,
--Jonathan