 Robotics / 8459
Re: lack of interest in basic stamp and basicx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:57:29 GMT

I am a little bit curious as to why there seems to
be such a lack of interest in the Parallax Basic Stamp
and its new high powered alternative the Basicx.

Hi Jeremy,
Being new to robotics, I had never heard of the BasicX until someone
mentioned it the other day on this list.

So I took a look at it.

First impressions are:
    - Expensive:  It seems that creating a walking-robot is going to set you
back about $500 or so, once you get all the servos, etc.
    - Complex:  Everything must be soldered.  All platforms must be built
(from plexiglass, wood, metal, or whatever).
    - Programming:  While BASIC is...well...basic, it *is* more complex than
using the software that comes with the LEGO system.  With LEGO, you get up
and running in minutes.  With BASIC, you are up and running in a month.
    - Elegance:  Building something with LEGO has a certain elegance and
simplicity to it.  All of the LEGO robots I have seen have a distict
"finished" look about them, while the ones on the BasicX site all looked
like somebody threw a thousand yards of wiring into a washing machine.

Decisions?  I'll start with LEGO.  Once I have the basic concepts of
robotics worked out, and I have pushed the LEGO platform to its limits, I
will build a BasicX walker based on the LynxMotion frame.

That's my $0.25 worth,
- Christian