 Robotics / 8308
RE: idea for firmware development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:18:37 GMT

Jonathan wrote:

But unless I'm seriously mistaken:
1) pbForth does not emulate the Lego firmware at all
2) the source is not available

I love pbForth, but is not what Brian is looking for...

Right. pbForth *replaces* the LEGO firmware, but you get
a lot of the benefits of user definable functions, lots
of varaible space etc. without the hassles of setting up
gcc and LegOS. Great for middle school students and teachers
who have mastered the LEGO firmware but are not up to running
LegOS.

The source is available, I just didn't include it in the last
release so I could figure out a good licence model. Ideas or
thoughts, anyone?

New improvements (thanks to Sergey Udovenko) include the
ability to use MARKER in multi-tasking systems, and a really
cool SREC format system saver.

It lets you compile a pbForth image on the RCX, and then upload
it to the PC in native SREC form. In fact, you can save the image
using any terminal program that supports XMODEM (most do).

This really saves time since you can upload an image instead of
a bunch of text once the application works.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com