 Robotics / 8231
RE: Line Followers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:26:56 GMT

With just one light sensor, the problem is that you have to guess which
direction you just fell off the line. i.e., your sensor suddently goes
from dark to light. Is the dark to your left? Your right? There's no real
way of telling, is there?

One way around it is a specially graded line. It's black on one side and
light on the other, sort of a dark grey in the middle. Try to keep the sensor
in the dark grey area.

With two light sensors, this suddenly becomes much easier, and with
three, you can build a great light sensor. However, forks still aren't
dealt with well- you need depth as well as breadth to be able to analyze
those robustly and on the fly (in my opinion). Anyone have any thoughts
on that one?

Yes. Now that I have solved the maze problem on paper with the mazewalker
at:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/mazewalker/index.html>

It uses depth and breadth techniques to "map" and "solve" the maze.

I'm going to eventually try a wheeled bot that follows a maze on the floor.
Once again, I'll keep to the idea of line segments of fixed length and
and only four directions, but once the simple problem is solved, more
general solutions would be fun.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>