 Robotics / 8234
Re: Line Followers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 06:12:33 GMT

In article <000001bf2fea$d0c9c4c0$0500000a@pro150>, "Ralph Hempel"
<rhempel@bmts.com> wrote:

With just one light sensor, the problem is that you have to guess which
direction you just fell off the line. i.e., your sensor suddently goes
from dark to light. Is the dark to your left? Your right? There's no real
way of telling, is there?

One way around it is a specially graded line. It's black on one side and
light on the other, sort of a dark grey in the middle. Try to keep the sensor
in the dark grey area.

You don't really  need to shade the line.  Start with something like a
3/4" wide black line over a white background.  If the light sensor is over
the edge between the line and the background it should read a value midway
between "black" and "white".  If the robot wanders too far to one side it
will see all black, too far to the other it will see white.  I've had
pretty good results with this sort of line following - the only catch is
that the line needs to be wide enough trigger a black reading with enough
time for the robot to then react and change course.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com