 Robotics / 8244
Re: Line Followers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:18:36 GMT

Perhaps the light sensor could be placed at the end of a vertical arm that
swings in a cone pattern.  This would prevent the twisting of connectors.

-Wes

Paul Speed wrote:

Hello,

        After various discussions here about maze walkers and synchro
'bots, I decided to try my hand at YASB (yet another synchro 'bot).
Furthermore, I decided that instead inverting the problem as Ralph
did, that I would turn it inside out by having a solid black line that
traces the path of the maze instead of having walls.

        This means that I will need an efficient way of tracking the
line and detecting junctions.  Initially I will leave the maze
"square", but I hope to be able to generalize in the future.

        My idea is to simulate having multiple light sensors by
using one light sensor to sample in several places.  Imagine a light
sensor moving around in a circle sampling discrete points along this
circle.  Standard methods have been discussed for various forms of
rotation sensors but I think a "touch sensor pressed by a gear"
type has some elegance when considering that the touch sensor could
probably be stacked on the same port with the light sensor.

        I will leave solutions to the problem of keeping the light
sensor cable from getting twisted as an exercize for the reader.
(heh)  At least until I've built a working example.  Speculation is
always so much easier than proving that it will work. :)

        -Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)