 Robotics / 8156
Re: building a maze
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:20:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Richard Sutherland writes:
I suppose I could put a colored dot on the line where the light
sensor ends up if the robot is in the center of the square.

I tried using different colors, but it is difficult to make it work because of
the limited range values of the light sensor. I got plenty of false readings,
and I would like to be able to sense what is to be sensed without stopping...
It should work, but it didn't for me...

I will explain my idea more thouroughly. I don't want to use a line-following
algorithm, because I think it is too much help for the bot. Instead, I plan to
use a checkerboard pattern and the bot can detect edge transitions and thus
know where it is.

I know: how is it to make the difference between left-right and
forward-backward? Well, in order to do that, a 4 colour pattern should be used.

Still: What if it bumps in a wall and spins around over 90 degrees and thinks
it's going forward when it's actually going backward? Well, in order to do
that, a 9 colour pattern should be used...

But like I said, that many colours are 7 too many!

The point is that only the transitions are important. And this means that by
using black stripes of different widths, one can draw "bar codes" on the floor,
telling the bot in which direction it is moving!

It is a delicate task to calibrate the timings, and there is the question of
what happens at the corners of the latice thus formed (a circular patch of a
medium gray might help), but I think these problems are easier than the
original one! :-)

/Vlad