 Robotics / 8140
Re: building a maze
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:32:35 GMT

That's a great idea.  As it is, the light sensor 'arm' is in the forward
position during travel, so I could use it to track a line down the center of
the squares.  I suppose I could put a colored dot on the line where the light
sensor ends up if the robot is in the center of the square.  Some of this is
probably tough to visualize, I will get some pictures somewhere soon.

I would like to have the maze as 'clean' as possible, ideally with just the
walls.  The less artificial support the better, but the RCX has limits.
However, I think the rules allow for putting additional marks on the floor of
the maze.

Richard
richard at mailstart dot com

"Robot building is fun."

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Paul Speed) writes:
Interesting,

About your positioning problem... perhaps you can mark down
the center of the "hallways" with a different color than is used for
the walls.  This way you can use standard line following methods to
keep your 'bot centered within the passages.  At intersections you
could correct your position/counters by finding the intersecting
line.

Heck, now that I think about it, I may try to make a line
follower with a bit of maze navigation built in.

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com)

Richard wrote:

Your challenge inspired me to give it a try.  I decided to make an
actual moving robot that would navigate the full 8x8 maze.  I
constructed a section of the maze and went to work.  I hope to have
pictures soon, but here is a little information.
<-SNIP>
The problem is the positioning errors.  It is pretty important that
the robot get to the center of each square.  After moving 7 or 8
squares, there is enough accumulated error to cause problems.  I have
the treads geared way down to increase the rotation counts per unit
distance or rotation, but the touch sensor based counters just are
not good enough.  Some real rotation sensors would probably improve
the accuracy by quite a bit.

As it stands now the robot can navigate to the beacon in my small
mazes, anything larger and the robot would eventually get confused
and end up crossing a wall, which happens sometimes even in the
small mazes I use (usually 4x4).  It does make the right choices
and proceeded methodically, and very slowly, towards the light
beacon.

Wow, maybe that was a bit more than 'a little information'.  I am
stuck without rotation sensors, any hints or suggestions?